Thursday, January 16, 2014

"Gone Girl": It's Not Your Mama's Mystery Novel




I'm not normally an adult mystery novel kind of girl. Granted, I am eighteen, so I usually stick to what I know: Young Adult novels. They're not always good, but, it's my age group so, you know. This time, though, I decided to try something new.

And I'm so glad I did.

Gone Girl is a novel that will keep you on your toes every step of the way. Seriously. Just when you think you know what's going on, Gillian Flynn throws in another twist and it's back to the drawing board. It's wildly addicting and pretty messed up, just like a good mystery novel should be. And there were no sparkly vampires, which is always a plus.

There are also multiple perspectives in the novel, which is something I always find interesting. It was even better in this novel, since their POVs would always change your opinion of the other character. One minute you were pro-Nick and the next you were pro-Amy. This dynamic was cool, since it was realistic and kept you on your toes.

The only thing I didn't care for was the end. I really wanted the book to be resolved and not left where it was. The ending did stick with me for days (and is still shocking to me now), so Flynn did exactly what she was supposed to as an author. I highly recommend it and bet that you will not see the ending coming, not in a million years..

No comments:

Post a Comment