Sunday, December 13, 2015

I'll "Confess": This Novel is Only Okay

So I know that Goodreads has this as the number one romantic novel of the year but...I don't know. I don't feel it. I just can't take a book seriously when the guy you're supposed to like says some emotionally abusive shit like "I'm the only one that deserves you". 

If any man ever said that to me, I would kick his ass. And dump him immediately. 

That was the major turn off for me because, otherwise, this book has a lot going for it. It hits on a lot of real life situations, like physical abuse and drug addictions. But, once I got to the characters, all I could focus on were their flaws. Owen comes out of the gate as an asshole, since he says so many rude things about his ex-girlfriend. Trey and Lydia? They're just assholes that stay assholes throughout the entire novel. And Auburn? She's not terrible, but she's not great either. A lot of the time she just lets situations happen because she's scared and never does anything to stand up for herself. Until the end, of course. 

Also, the relationships are weird. Owen and Auburn meet and literally are obsessed with each other to the point that the first couple of chapters is them being with each other all day long. I kept waiting for them to go their separate ways so that they could reflect on their feelings, but either Auburn or Owen would find reasons to continue hanging out longer. It was like I was waiting on a friend who met a guy at a party; she might tell me "10 more minutes" but we all know that this could go on for another hour. 

So, overall, this novel is only okay. It has a really solid plot, but the characters are just so problematic that it hinders the readability of the novel. If you can overlook that, then you'll love the story. If you're like me and can't, I recommend just skipping this one.   

No comments:

Post a Comment