Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Alice in Zombieland" is No Trip to Wonderland


Oh my. 

That's all I can think to say about this book. I was stuck in an airport for three hours with a dying cell phone and I managed to avoid this book like the plague, that's how unappealing it is to read. 

I mean, I still read like 60 pages, but it was a rough 60 pages.

*Sigh* I haven't touched it in three months and it still has the power to make me angry. Let's just get through this so I can be on my merry way.

First of all, Alice in Zombieland? More like there's a girl named Alice and there's some zombies where she lives. And she daydreams sometimes about making out with people (more on that below). It's not a play on Alice in Wonderland, its just some snazzy words that made sense with the premise. If you're looking for white rabbits and the Cheshire cat, you came to the WRONG place.

Basically what killed this was the insta-love. There's "Twilight" insta-love, which is annoying and unrealistic but manageable. And then there is Alice insta-love, which consists of both individuals seeing one another for the first time and transporting to another world where all they do is make-out. This occurs quite a bit in the middle of the hallway at school. 

Like...COME ON. I can't get a boy to flirt with me and you're making out with your crush in another dimension the first time you see him. Sure. That makes sense. 

AND THIS HAPPENS MULTIPLE TIMES IN THE FIRST 60 SOME PAGES. 

Alice also SUCKS as a character. I mean, she's witty, but internally she's a mess. Like, if you're going to make a sarcastic comment, at least be confident about it first. Don't make me read about how you're so unsure of what you're saying and then act like you're the head bitch in charge. No. I won't believe it and neither should everyone around you. 

The only redeeming quality of the book was the first chapter (even though it was more of a prologue?) because it was captivating and was a seemingly good origin story for an independent, female, kick ass zombie hunter. 

BUT THEN I GOT SMACKED IN THE FACE WITH INSTA-LOVE AND THAT WAS THAT. 

If you can make it farther, peace and blessings to you. I just want this as far away from me as possible.(less)

No comments:

Post a Comment