Friday, August 8, 2014

"Spying in Heels" Has a Decent Leg to Stand On



Well, it's no Heather Wells Mystery by Meg Cabot, but its a solid replacement in my book. I mean, I read most of the book in a day, so it must be fantastic, right?

Er...not exactly.

It's not a bad book; it really isn't. You know me, if it was terrible I would be going on a full out rant right about now. It just has some faults that took away from the story, which influenced my four star rating. 

The first thing that comes to mind is the overuse of description. Listen, being an English person, I know that is exactly what we're taught to do in school: use as many details as possible. But, good lord I do not need to know the exact details of what the character is eating or what freeways/roads she's driving on.

Like there were 4 paragraphs, I REPEAT 4 PARAGRAPHS, about the main character, Maddie, getting food at Starbucks. Is that information necessary? No, it's not.

The freeway thing was what irritated me to no end. Maddie would always be spouting off that she took the 405 to 10 to the blah blah, I don't care. I don't live in LA so constantly telling me these freeway names is not helping me at all. I'm just getting more confused. It's like me telling you to take 271 to 480 and get off on Brookpark Road. Do you know what I'm talking about? Not unless you're from Cleveland, you don't.

And even then you might have no idea what I'm talking about, since I just figured out the freeway names and I've been driving for 3 years now. 

So, whatever, it's a little thing that you can easily skirt around because, if she gets too descriptive, you can skim over it. It's a bit annoying, but the plot propels the book enough that it more than makes up for it.  

Honestly, that's what the book has going for it: the plot. There's also some underlying romance, which, of course, gives me strength. Maddie can get irksome, but she means well and she's not a professional spy so you have to cut her some slack when she does stupid stuff. Overall, Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series is still number one in my heart, but this series is a solid second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment