Tuesday, July 14, 2015

"The Intern's Handbook" Is a Delightful Guide to Assassination in the Workplace

Wow. Who knew assassination could be so much fun?

This book is really good. I absolutely adore John Lago, despite the fact that he swears after every other word. But, he's a sarcastic asshole; it just comes with the territory. 

And, I mean, who DOESN'T love a good, old fashioned sarcastic asshole? 

I also really enjoyed the insider look on the assassin field. Normally, you read books and the assassin character is equivalent to a robot. While Lago might compare himself to a robot throughout the novel, he has complex thoughts and feelings (although he would never admit it out loud) that you get to see by reading the novel through his perspective. Lago is treated as a human being instead of some soulless hack that simply kills with no emotions at all. That character would destroy this book and Shane Kuhn knew it. 

My only issue with the book is that there was no indication of time. The novel is fast paced to begin with, so you are already thinking things are happening more quickly than in real life. Normally, I would automatically call bullshit on this (I read a lot of YA novels and THAT comes with my territory). However, there was no way for me to see if this could have made sense in that time frame. Was this case only a month? Or did it drag on for a lot longer? You don't know. Having this explained would have helped to put the events of the novel in perspective for the reader. 

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I won the sequel through Goodreads' giveaways, so I have high hopes that the sequel, like this novel, will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment